Summer Internship Awards | International Students FAQ

The Brandeis International Business School Internship Awards Program consists of funding from the Dean’s Office, Centers & Institutes and donors to provide support to students undertaking unpaid summer internships. We will be accepting applications until May 31, 2022. Learn more and apply here!

Image of person holding globe like a soccer ballWho is eligible for a Summer Internship Award?

Any current Brandeis International Business School student completing an unpaid summer internship while residing in the United States is eligible for this award. Please note: International students must be authorized to work in the United States.

How do I know if I’m authorized to work in the United States?

Students who have completed two semesters of full-time enrollment in the United States are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Discuss your plans with your program advisor and ISSO to make sure you are in compliance with course and CPT requirements. For more information, visit the Internship Reporting and Registration Form.

Why do I need to live in the United States to qualify for an Internship Award?

Internship Awards are paid through our student payroll system. Brandeis is not authorized to pay for work performed by any foreign nationals who are not residing in the United States, and have not completed the required federal paperwork. Therefore, you must be living in the U.S. during the time of your summer internship to qualify.

Many internships are remote these days. Am I still eligible for an Internship Award if I live in the United States, but intern for a company located in another country?

Yes, you are eligible to apply as long as you are residing on U.S. soil at the time of the internship. Please note: you will still be paid through the student payroll system and will need to have completed your I-9.

If awarded, what paperwork will I need to complete?

All employees hired by Brandeis, including Internship Award recipients, need to have completed USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (“I-9”), which requires a valid social security number and the appropriate visa.

What is a social security number and how do I obtain one?

All U.S. employers, including Brandeis, require employees to have an SSN. This unique nine digit identification number is issued by the U.S. government and is necessary for getting paid and paying taxes. Visit ISSO’s Social Security Number Information webpage to learn the steps necessary to obtain your SSN.

How will I be paid and will my award be subject to taxes?

If you are awarded, payment will be processed through the student payroll system. As such, your award stipend will be directly deposited into your US bank account and State and Federal taxes may be withheld from the total award amount.

I don’t see my question above – how can I learn more?

Please visit the Internship Awards Program Criteria, Deadlines & Eligibility section of the Student Portal for more information. If you still have questions, feel free to email globalcareers@brandeis.edu with the subject line “Internship Awards” and we’ll get back to you within two business days.

We also welcome you to attend our Internships Awards Information Sesssion on March 22 from 2 – 3 pm. RSVP here

By Career Strategies and Engagement (CSE)
Career Strategies and Engagement (CSE)