A Summer Working in Asset Management by Kajol Awasthi MSF’23

Profile photo of Kajol Awasthi

It was a sweet summer after all! What made it special? I had the opportunity to work as an intern at Vodia Capital, LLC, a boutique financial services firm in Lincoln, Massachusetts that specializes in wealth management for high net worth individuals. I was an Investment Analyst and this was my stepping stone into the asset management industry.

A little background about me: My name is Kajol and I am now a second year MSF student at Brandeis International Business School. Asset management is a field that always intrigued me. Whether it is researching the various global economic trends or analyzing and recommending a particular stock, it has always been a great learning experience.

My job description:

My main area of focus was in their private equity segment. I was responsible for constructing a general due diligence framework for the firm to assess the viability of the private equity funds they invest in. Since the firm believes in social impact investing, they want to make sure the opportunities have business operations that align with their goals. I studied various aspects of a deal right from sourcing, operations, value addition, financials, human resources, ESG factors and contractual agreements for fee payments among the “Limited Partner” and “General Partner”. I tested the framework by implementing it on a new opportunity the firm received and presented my recommendation for it to the entire team. Additionally, I also assisted the Equity Research Team with industry and capital markets research for their Live Market Update report on the effects of the current economic conditions on the firm’s overall portfolio performance for investors.  

My takeaways

First and foremost, I had THE BEST team to work with. One of the main characteristics that land you a job are how well you can work with the rest of the employees. (NGL, at the end of the day you (and them!) want someone who both can tolerate for 8 hours a day and 5 days a week!) They are all kind, knowledgeable, fun and supportive individuals who always helped and guided me when needed. It is a beautiful office and I felt very comfortable working there for the eight weeks I interned with them. 

I had the opportunity to study confidential documents like the Limited Partnership Agreement, Private Placement Memorandum, Investor Reports and Subscription Documents. It really gave me an insight into the funds performance and how it actually planned to add value and make a potential profitable exit. I learned a lot about the markets, using the Bloomberg Terminal and what goes behind facing the clients and catering to their needs. The weekly Investment Committee meetings taught me a lot about the various strategies that are used when managing various family portfolios. 

Overall, I had a wonderful experience! The opportunity to explore different sides of the company, from private equity to wealth management, has given me invaluable insights into my strengths and weaknesses as I venture into the workforce. 

I obtained this opportunity through one of our Business School alum and worked alongside a current MSF batchmate! If you are interested in venturing into the industry, courses like Investments, Security Analysis, Fixed Income, Private Equity, International Portfolio Management, etc are of great help. I couldn’t have done it without the help of my MSF Career Coach, Jennifer Voldins! 

Tip: CSE has a great array of resources and guides to help you navigate your way through the recruitment process. Be sure to reach out to your respective Career Coaches and do not be afraid to reach out to our alums! Work hard and I promise you, you will reap its sweet rewards! 🙂

By Kajol Awasthi
Kajol Awasthi Former CSE Career Captain