Answering “Do you have any questions for me?” | Top Interviewing Questions Series

Do you have any questions for me?

Each Tuesday, the CSE Connect “Top Interviewing Questions Series” will highlight a different question from the CSE Top Interviewing Questions Guide, detailing 1) How the question is typically asked, 2) Why interviewers tend to ask the question and what the interviewer is looking for when asking the question, and 3) Tips for a successful response.

This week’s question is : “Do you have any questions for me?”

How the Question is Typically Asked/Common Variations

• Do you have any questions for me?
  • Before we wrap up, did you have any questions?

Why Do Interviewers Ask/What are their Expectations

Shows whether you have done your research and hints as to how interested you are in the company/role/industry. This can be the most important question of the interview and is often last. The interviewer expects that you will be prepared with insightful questions beyond what could be found on the company’s website, and questions that demonstrate your preparation for this interview and your interest in this role/company. Be sure to avoid a response such as, “No, we’ve discussed all of my questions already”.

Tips for Success

Prepare at least 3 questions, ideally personalized, for each interviewer.

Use this as an opportunity to show your interest and learn more about what the interviewer is looking for to form your responses to further questions.

Consider connecting this company or position with something you’ve learned in the classroom, and ask your interviewer for their thoughts. For example, “In my Econometrics class, we have studied (name a topic). What changes have you seen in (this topic area) in your time with (this company)?”

Avoid questions that only pertain to you (benefits, vacation time, promotion possibilities, etc.).

Alumni Advice

“My first question is always asking what they are looking for… then I’m running through my head, what did they mention that I did not already talk about?”

CSE Recommended Tip

“Recruiting is like matchmaking… and so think of it as a conversation, and not just you answering questions.. come with three questions of your own for the individual”

For practice with this question please visit: Big Interview > Practice > General

Visit the CSE Top Interviewing Questions Guide for more information regarding top general interview questions!

By Career Strategies and Engagement (CSE)
Career Strategies and Engagement (CSE)