Industry Treks explained: A guide for incoming students

Visit a new city, build your network and gain insights about top employers

Brandeis students sit around conference table at BlackRock New York

Students visit BlackRock on a fall Industry Trek to New York City.

Industry Treks are a great way for students to quickly gain a better understanding of professional life in specific companies, industries and cities.

These trips are organized by the Career Strategies and Engagement Center at Brandeis International Business School. Through company visits and alumni networking opportunities, students enjoy an inside look at the culture and day-to-day work life at top employers. They also learn valuable insights about the hiring process directly from employees who work there.

International Business School students have previously traveled on Industry Treks to Boston, New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and even Toronto, Dublin and Hong Kong. Past company visits include Amazon, Barclays, BlackRock, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, Facebook, Fidelity, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, Google, J.P. Morgan, Wells Fargo and many more!

My New York City experience

The New York City Industry Trek was focused on finance. We visited three companies — BlackRock, HSBC and Deloitte — and attended a networking event with International Business School alumni.

We visited BlackRock on the first day. I had an amazing experience meeting and connecting with alumni who work there. They shared insights into what it was like to interview at the firm, as well as lessons from their own job searches.

The second day featured HSBC and Deloitte. It was a thrill to visit the HSBC trading floor and watch live trading. At Deloitte, I met employees working in mergers and acquisitions, which really interests me. I gained a lot of insight about the M&A industry and learned more about their day-do-day tasks.

The alumni networking event was also a highlight. I met alumni from so many different different companies and industries and made several valuable connections.

It’s all about networking!

Looking back on my Industry Trek, the best part was the people! Exploring new cities is always fun, but meeting diverse professionals and learning about their culture and experiences is so important as you begin your career journey.

My time in New York City pushed me out of my comfort zone. In turn, I sharpened my communication and interpersonal skills and grew more confident interacting with people.

I strongly recommend that students go on at least one Industry Trek during their time at the International Business School. The experience will undoubtedly help you build your network, hone your soft skills and deepen your knowledge of some of the world’s best employers, setting you up for success after graduation.

This post originally appeared on Brandeis International Business School’s Student Insights blog.

By Harsh Sanghvi
Harsh Sanghvi Former CSE Career Captain