Sukanya Ahuja, MSBA’23 | Setting Sail with Graduating Career Captains

Sukanya posing in front of business school sign

The Setting Sail Series is a collection of blog posts from graduating Career Captains that include their favorite Brandeis International Business School memories, as well as advice for incoming and returning students. In this blog post, Sukanya Ahuja, MSBA’23, CSE Career Captain and valued member of the CSE News Crew, gives her farewell address featuring 3 top pieces of advice for current and future students.

Setting Sail with Sukanya Ahuja, MSBA’23 

As I reflect on my time at Brandeis International Business School, I can’t help but feel a sense of nostalgia and accomplishment. I have made so many memories, and grown both professionally and personally during my time here. It’s hard to imagine not seeing the Brandeis community on a regular basis and moving on to the next chapter of my life.

When I first arrived at the business school, I was excited and a little nervous about what to expect. I was moving to a new country, leaving behind my friends and family, and starting a new chapter of my life. But little did I know that Brandeis would quickly become a second home, filled with warm faces and endless opportunities for growth and learning.

As I pass the baton on to the next batch of students, I want to leave you with a few pieces of advice:

My 3 key takeaways before I “Sail Away”

#1 Pick the right courses 

It can be hard to keep your goals in mind with so many cool courses being offered at the business school. Pick the ones that make sense to your path.

I knew I wanted to geek out on data and that’s exactly what I did. I picked all the data-heavy courses at the business school, and then broadened my horizons with electives, even taking advantage of Brandeis’ collaborative spirit to explore additional data courses offered through Heller

The two courses that especially helped me grow my skills were Analyzing Big Data I with Prof. Xavi Vidal-Berastain and Marketing Analytics with Prof. Ashish Mrig. I can’t recommend these enough!

#2  Ask away

The close-knit community at Brandeis gave me a strong sense of support and belonging. Help was always just a question away. 

Connect with your Career Coach, visit your professor’s office hours, attend alumni networking events — the Brandeis community is ready to help you with open arms. They can offer valuable advice, mentorship, and job opportunities; make good use of this!

#3 Get an on-campus job!

Especially as an international student, an on-campus job can be pivotal for professional development. It can provide opportunities to hone communication and social skills, particularly in a new cultural setting. These are all traits that will make your job hunt and interviews go smoothly. My time as a CSE Career Captain, and as a TA really prepared me for success in the real world.

That’s all for now folks! It’s time to say my farewells to the business school and set sail in the real world! While I am sad to be leaving behind the community, I am excited to see what the future holds. I know this is just the beginning of my journey. 

Thank you for everything, Brandeis! – Sukanya

Career Captain Appreciation Party

Career Captain Team Spring 2022

CSE Team at graduation

CSE Team at the Winter Graduation Celebration!

Global Gala

Global Gala!

By Sukanya Ahuja
Sukanya Ahuja Former CSE Career Captain