The Ares Real Estate Debt team is seeking an investment professional to join their Chicago team.
The position will play a highly visible and key role in the investment process, assisting deal teams in the sourcing and assessment of short-term debt, equity and mezzanine investment opportunities in core plus and value added oriented commercial real estate projects throughout the US.
The Ares Estate Debt team focuses on directly originating loans using its extensive national relationships with various owner-operators, sponsors and intermediaries of real estate properties. We seek to provide flexible financing across a potential borrower’s capital structure. While we focus on self-originated transactions, we will also selectively pursue secondary market acquisitions and club/syndicated transactions.
Primary Function & Essential Responsibilities
- Participate in the sourcing, assessment and structuring of investment opportunities by critically evaluating the merits and risks of the investment through the development of financial metrics, models and sensitivities
- Identify differing economic and performance scenarios that appropriately bracket an investment’s potential performance and prepare models to measure the economics of the transaction.
- Develop an appropriate capital structure for an investment based upon its business plan and key risks to performance through analysis and discussions with sponsors, market participants and investment professionals.
- Understand the physical characteristics of each property, and the related competitive advantages and disadvantages it offers.
- Assess and critically evaluate the existing and potential operating characteristics of a project. (Revenue, expenses, capital expenditures, tenant credit, leases)
- Identify and understand a project’s market positioning; gather market information through independent field work and direct contact with brokers, appraisers and developers. Synthesize information and draw a conclusion on the business plan including future market rent, absorption, vacancy, and liquidity in the investment market.
- Perform credit analysis of potential sponsors. Critically assess the execution ability of the development team for a project.
- Prepare a comprehensive investment submission and communicate conclusions and investment risk in a narrative presentation to senior management including approval through participation in Investment Committee.
- High level of expertise in Excel, PowerPoint and ARGUS
- Strong presentations skills and time management skills
- Must possess strong integrity and professionalism
- 1-2 years of commercial real estate investment, underwriting or investment banking experience
- Education/Certification: BS or Master’s Degree in finance, real estate or related field
Head of Origination, Real Estate Debt
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!