Seeking deeply curious students from all backgrounds to be the next generation of Bridgewater’s investment leaders.
What is the opportunity for summer interns?
As an Investment Associate summer intern, you will spend your time building experience working on challenging investment questions in a highly dynamic environment, while also participating in a summer-long class where you will receive a world-class education in macroeconomics, and learn about Bridgewater’s unique approach to thinking about markets. Throughout the summer, you will be engaging in a highly intellectual and academic environment, while also rapidly developing and learning as a result of our culture. Interns will be invited into the broader Bridgewater community through our Affinity Networks, Bridgewater’s Distinguished Speaker series, all while working alongside and having fun with fellow interns and Investment Associates.
In a nutshell, we are looking for people who:
- Can take abstract concepts and turn them into concrete solutions that solve challenging problems in markets and economies.
- Exhibit different ways of thinking that push the frontiers of our collective understanding; diversity of thought and abilities is critical to our success.
- Display a deep curiosity and a drive to understand complex systems, like markets and economies, with the humility to focus more on what is true than on being right.
- Thrive in a deeply intellectual environment where truthful and transparent communication ensure that the best ideas win out.
Who are our Investment Associates?
Investment Associates are on a mission to understand the fundamental drivers of markets and turn that understanding into quantitative trading strategies and qualitative investment advice for our clients. There are no typical paths at Bridgewater. We operate as a meritocracy, where you will be assessed on the quality of your ideas and given as much responsibility as you can handle. Some Investment Associates develop into specialized subject matter experts, while others excel as generalists. Many rotate between roles over the course of their careers. Investment Associates work across four investment areas:
- Research: Expand our understanding of how economies work, and distill that understanding into systematic trading strategies. You’ll be dealing with questions like: How do economic actors behave and what drives their actions? and How can we systematically monitor and predict their actions?
- Trading: Design optimal trading strategies and oversee their implementation. You’ll be dealing with questions like: How liquid are markets, around the world and across all asset classes? How fast and with which counterparties should we trade?
- Account Management: Translate our market views into optimal portfolios. You’ll be dealing with questions like: What positions should we hold based on our research views? and How do they interact in a portfolio and how do we deal with uncertainty and risk?
- Client Service: Advise the largest and most sophisticated pools of capital in the world. You’ll be dealing with questions like: What’s the best way for an underfunded pension fund to meet future liabilities? and How should a >$200B institutional fund structure its portfolio?
Click here to learn more about Bridgewater’s fundamental approach to investing.
What does Bridgewater do?
Bridgewater Associates is a premier systematic hedge fund, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors. Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world’s markets and economies work — using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles. Powering this engine requires a diverse community of investment professionals, technologists, managers and other specialists. The firm attracts independent thinkers who share a commitment to achieving excellence in their respective lines of work and operating in our unique culture. Bridgewater was founded in 1975 and its principal offices are located in Westport, CT — an hour outside New York City.
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The investment associate intern position requires the candidate is eligible to work in the United States for a minimum of 3 years from the candidate’s start date. H-1B visa sponsorship and support for post-graduation optional practical training is available only to candidates with a degree in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.