The 10 week Summer Internship Program is designed to provide an introduction to the alternative investment industry. Interns receive real-world experience that will foster professional development while complementing their studies. Internships in the Investments department are geared towards rising seniors pursuing a career in the investment management industry.
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT INTERN
The Portfolio Management department’s primary focus is to construct and monitor the customized and commingled portfolios the firm manages in our ARS group. The department constructs forward-looking allocation plans that align with GCM Grosvenor’s current investment views while ensuring compliance with each portfolio’s stated objectives and constraints. The Portfolio Management team works closely with other departments including our Research, Risk Management, and Operations teams on investments-related work. In addition, Portfolio Management works closely with our Business Development, Marketing and Legal groups to create portfolio proposals in pursuit of new business, and further develop existing business relationships. The role of a Portfolio Management Intern focuses in the areas of investments, client servicing and operations.
The individual will be involved in the following critical activities:
- Construct forward-looking portfolio plans that allocate client capital to various hedge funds.
- Use the Firm’s internal risk analytics to analyze portfolios of hedge funds and inform allocation decision making.
- Draft portfolio-related correspondence to clients and create customized solutions for client requests as they arise.
- Maintain knowledge base of underlying hedge funds and current investment themes.
- Work closely with Business Development, Marketing and Legal to create proposed portfolio presentations for potential new business.
- Test portfolio allocation plans to their respective objectives and constraints for compliance.
- Participate in weekly department meetings.
- Complete a case study project related to the industry to present to the Portfolio Management and Risk Management teams.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
- Qualified candidates will be pursuing BA/BS with a concentration in Finance, Economics, Accounting or related field with superior academic performance.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of the investment industry, particularly the alternative investment industry. Applicable coursework or previous internship in the field of investments or financial markets beneficial but not required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. The ability to articulate thoughts in a clear and concise manner to both clients and staff through written correspondence, presentations and in meetings
- Must be flexible and adaptable with the ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment with shifts in work flow priorities under tight time constraints.
- Excellent work ethic, high degree of professionalism and integrity, and commitment to team in a goal-oriented environment.
- Superior organization, critical decision making and problem solving skills with the demonstrated initiative and ability to manage tasks and projects independently from start to finish in a cross functional team environment.
- Strong attention to detail and concern for quality and accuracy of final product, and ability to balance that concern with deadlines.
- Team player, self-starter, independent and critical thinker.
- Flexible schedule which allows for certain late nights and weekends depending upon the work load.
- The ability to recognize the requirements of confidentiality.
- Highly proficient with Excel, Word, and Outlook