Overview: Microsoft has a longstanding commitment to global corporate philanthropy. This fiscal year we will donate more than $2 billion in cash grants, software, hardware and cloud technology to hundreds of thousands of nonprofits and helped over 200,000 move to the cloud. In September 2017 we launched Tech for Social Impact (TSI), powered by a sustainable social model where profits are reinvested into expanding support for nonprofits. To do this, TSI brings together our donation and grants programs, commercial sales efforts and partner ecosystem to empower nonprofits globally to address the world’s most pressing needs. Our mission is to help every nonprofit and humanitarian organization to accelerate social good through technology. Profits generated from this business will be reapplied to scaling operations and to support cash donations to high impact social projects. Fueling all this new work and investment is the aim to empower every nonprofit to do their best work to create inclusive and enduring positive impact throughout our communities.
THE ROLE: The Tech for Social Impact (TSI) Business Strategy Manager is responsible for building a world class market intelligence, strategic planning, opportunity assessment & validation system, and social impact measurement framework to guide investments that will both drive business growth and social impact. Based on this system the Business Strategy Manager will be responsible for co-creating TSI’s long range plan (LRP) in close orchestration with the TSI LT and other business partners. The Business Strategy Manager will be accountable for driving cross-company LRP alignment in close partnership with the TSI VP and will ensure all plans feed into the bi-annual execution planning process. Finally, the Business Strategy Manager will be responsible for building and operating our next generation social impact measurement framework to further guide investments that are both sustainable and drive maximum social impact. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, pursuing audacious goals, and embracing the discipline and execution excellence necessary to achieve them.
- Enhance TSIs market intelligence system to generate deep insights to inform strategic planning – this includes consolidating and synthesizing voice of customer, voice of partner, compete analysis, share tracking, analyst insights, custom research, and more.
- In partnership with the TSI LT, build and orchestrate a three-horizon business strategy planning and definition process to include strategies for strengthening the core business, expanding to new business scenarios, and creating new markets.
- Serve as the author and custodian of TSI’s long range plan (LRP) ensuring semester refreshes.
- Lead initial business development activities to assess and qualify new potential business opportunities and strategic partnerships.
- Partner with the TSI VP and other key leaders to drive cross company leadership, sponsorship and mobilization of key initiatives generated from the strategic planning process.
- Partner with business operating to dock critical strategic plans and initiatives into mainstream TSI execution including alignment with annual goals, ROB, scorecard and more.
- Lead the development and orchestration of TSI next generation impact measurement system to gauge the social impact of our initiatives and investments more precisely and fuel a continuous improvement feedback loop.
- High quality delivery and orchestration of the TSI market intelligence dashboard
- High quality delivery of “Top Opportunities & Threats” quarterly report synthesizing critical market intelligence findings.
- High quality delivery of TSI’s LRP
- On-target ROI and social impact goal attainment of new strategic investments.
- High quality delivery of TSI’s next generation impact measurement system
- World class teaming across TSI and Microsoft as measured by stakeholder feedback.
- 3+ years of experience in the field of business strategy, market intelligence, or similar.
- 3+ years of hands-on business development experience including direct leadership of strategic engagements, complex contracts, strategic partner orchestration.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft business models and technology
- Strong understanding of how to get things done in a multinational work environment through influence by leveraging your extensive interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Experience in strategic planning, execution, building relationships, and working with executives at all levels.
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills, demonstrated success in driving complex strategies and projects, outstanding cross-group organizational skills and agility, strong communication skills (verbal and written), proven project management skills and be a motivated self-starter.
- You should enjoy working under pressure and deadlines, with a strong ability to manage ambiguity and uncertainty, while driving clarity.
- Passion for managing and leading people through business transformation is important.
- Great written and verbal communication skills; skilled in translating ideas into clear, high impact written communications and presentations.
- A growth mindset and a passion to constantly learn and improve.
- Position can be performed outside of Redmond, WA, but there is a strong preference for the candidate to be located there.
- 4-year degree or MBA strongly desired.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.