We build great healthcare companies. We work together as a focused team to research opportunities, validate concepts, and build partnerships with executives, investors and anchor customers. We like big problems that are important and difficult, where our access to experts has the biggest impact and our ability to recruit great executives is most critical.
We collaborate closely with our sister organizations including Oxeon Partners, the leading growth-stage healthcare executive search firm and Town Hall Ventures, the healthcare focused venture capital firm with approximately $400M of assets under management. Through our three distinct yet deeply integrated and aligned businesses, we have access to an immense network of executives at insurers, health systems, tech companies, employers and investors to understand market needs, vet and validate our business plans, secure anchor partnerships, raise growth capital and recruit best-in-class leadership teams.
We have created a portfolio of 6 companies with different industry-leading investors and missions such as improving maternal and infant health, supporting people recovering from substance abuse and providing superior care for people suffering from chronic kidney disease. We refine our approach with each new company build and through this our platform, network and knowledge base expands and de-risks the next company we build. Once launched, we continue to work closely with our companies and their management team to help ensure they achieve their full potential.
We hire intellectually curious, gritty and collaborative people to join our small team. MBA Interns are expected to generate concepts and work with the support of the team to launch companies. NewCos are launched when we have sufficiently vetted a concept and have a business plan that enables us to (1) hire a CEO/founding team (2) raise capital and (3) sign an anchor customer. We provide significant autonomy and support in shaping concepts, and have high expectations for each concept’s impact and financial success.
Building from scratch means the path to success is unknown. This is substantially different from most corporate environments. We expect interns to bring talent and skills to the table, but you must also exhibit the intellectual curiosity, autonomy and hustle needed to drive ideas and work forward in an uncertain context.
Intern Role Responsibilities
- Build great healthcare companies
- Identify large and important markets in which to invest time and resources
- Perform deep market research through extensive interviewing and reading
- Develop concepts through a combination of iterative shaping within the Venture Studio team, personal reflection and conversations with market experts
- Articulate a compelling business plan
- Be a great teammate and support other concepts the team develops
- Contribute to firm wide culture in the Venture Studio and across our sister organizations
- Experience with early-stage healthcare businesses, with a demonstrated understanding of how these businesses are built and what makes them successful
- Demonstrated EQ and dynamic communication skills needed to quickly build trusting collaborative relationships
- Intellectual horsepower needed to think across the healthcare IT/services market to identify the highest-value opportunities
- Motivation, perseverance and confidence to solve problems, take initiative and succeed in high pressure situations
- Ability to flex between high level thinking and detailed problem solving
- Desire to learn and teach
- Strong foundational business skills to build presentations and model businesses
- Commitment to solving systemic challenges in healthcare
If you are energized by our industry, mission, and the way we do business, please reach out. We’d love to hear from you.