The Accounting Analyst will be responsible for performing general accounting functions within the company and facilitating the month-end close process, reporting directly to the Manager, Accounting.This individual will also provide strategic support and analysis as needed.
A successful individual in this role is a self-motivated, adaptive, eager learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have an analytical mindset, strong work ethic, heightened attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement. They will be able to work well cross-functionally and form relationships throughout the Company.
- 1-2 years of accounting experience required, Big 4 experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent
- CPA designation or equivalent a plus
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and SOX/internal controls
- A strong team player with the ability to effectively collaborate across departments
- An expert in multi-tasking with the ability to manage several high-priority projects simultaneously
- Detail-oriented and analytical providing high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization and cross-functionally
- Proven experience researching and analyzing accounting standards and regulatory guidance
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to beginning employment.
- Facilitate month-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of the team’s close-related responsibilities;
- Prepare period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses with appropriate internal control documentation and support;
- Prepare balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses;
- Prepare the accounting evaluation, conclusions, and maintain the ongoing accounting treatment of new agreements;
- Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy cross-functional and other operational changes.
- Assist with driving change management by working with IT and other key stakeholders related to any associated changes;
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests;
- Continuously evaluate internal controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes;
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to assist in the identification of improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization consequently reducing manual, Excel-based activities;
- Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities;
- Evaluate, develop, implement and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance;
- Research technical accounting issues, prepare policy memos, and ensure that company policies are in compliance with GAAP;
- Maintain chart of accounts, departments, and locations to support financial reporting to meet the needs of Saks management;
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external financial reporting requirements;
- Drive a culture of compliance, inclusivity, continued learning and support;
- Actively play a key role in the Workday implementation by advising on accounting implications, analyzing business requirements and working with the system implementation team; and assist with on-going company initiatives and projects.