Infrastructure Summer Analyst Role Overview
StepStone is currently seeking candidates with excellent quantitative, qualitative and interpersonal skills for a summer analyst position on StepStone’s Infrastructure and Real Assets Team. StepStone offers Summer Analysts a unique opportunity to obtain valuable work experience within the private equity Infrastructure industry. Through analysis of underlying sectors and sub-sectors such as transportation, telecommunications, utilities, power, energy, logistics, renewables, social, sustainability and impact investing, Summer Analysts gain exposure to a wide array of companies, assets and capital structures, and become familiar with a wide variety of infrastructure funds and transactions.
The Summer Analysts will work in a team environment to target and perform due diligence on opportunities across SIRA’s investment verticals including: infrastructure fund investments, co-investment transactions and secondaries transactions. The intern will have the opportunity to prepare and present recommendations, with the investment team, to SIRA’s Investment Committee.
StepStone prides itself on the Firm’s collegial atmosphere, encouraging team-building initiatives and a collaborative approach to accomplishing projects. The ideal candidate will possess strong academic achievement, a strong work ethic, high quality writing skills, a solid grasp of basic quantitative methods, and a demonstrated interest and/or background in the investment industry.
Essential Internship Functions
- Perform market research using publicly available information and proprietary databases to identify, quantify and analyze trends across a variety of sectors
- Interpret financial analyses prepared by target fund managers, including investment track records and financial statement analysis; prepare valuation analyses on private companies or privately-owned assets using a variety of methods including discounted cash flow and transaction comparables
- Assist in the creation and sensitizing of Excel based financial models related to funds and investments
- Support Senior Research staff on managing and tracking the inflow of investment opportunities
- Help construct an argument regarding a decision to invest or not invest, and communicate that argument efficiently in written materials (in MS Word and Powerpoint form)
- Form an independent opinion about the attractiveness of a sector or investment opportunity by using creativity to analyze data; clearly articulate findings
- Assess marketing and supporting materials of prospective fund managers to identify key value drivers and important areas for further investigation
- Analyze and monitor the performance of the firm’s existing fund managers and underlying portfolio companies; participate in meetings with senior executives of target fund managers
- Analyze and conduct diligence on co-investment opportunities and secondary transactions
- Pursuing BA/BS or master degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or Law, or equivalent relevant experience
- High proficiency in MS Word, Power Point and Excel
- Demonstrated track record of academic success
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong, demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative/modeling skills
- Team player and strong work ethic