We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
You will demonstrate broad and deep knowledge of investment operations, investment systems, and the asset management process to provide advanced support to portfolio management. Serve as a liaison between IT, vendors, other Investment Operations staff, and the research analysts and investment strategists who handles investments. Develop and maintain portfolio analytics for assigned group(s). Depend on a moderate level of mentorship from an Investment Strategist or portfolio management in the definition and execution of work.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop deep knowledge of portfolio structure and associated investment strategies in order serve as a subject matter expert on the firm’s most complex portfolios, e.g. funds of funds, which are composed of well over one hundred fund sleeves
- Develop and maintain daily, weekly, and monthly portfolio attribution and risk reports that help the portfolio management team gain insight into portfolio performance and risk
- Monitor portfolios for drift from model and risk parameters and investigate the root causes of such drift using advanced Excel skills and tools like Python, R, FactSet, and Bloomberg
- Assist in portfolio rebalancing through ensuring data quality and providing post trade quality control.
- Assist portfolio management in conducting ad-hoc analysis of portfolio constituents, a trading universe, or benchmarks for the investment committee; for example, conduct a historical analysis of a benchmark to determine suitability for the fund of funds, or screen an index
- Assist portfolio management with the development of models; for example, taking a portfolio manager’s undeveloped question or idea, iteratively gathering data, and developing model components using tools like Excel, FactSet, R, Python or Bloomberg
- Serving as a subject matter expert on the portfolio management process, collaborate with various teams across Operations, including middle office, financial reporting, and investment accounting
- Support documentation of models, workflows, and other requirements related to the portfolio management process
- Provide input and lead efforts to improve portfolio management processes, keeping portfolio managers focused on investing rather than data quality or process
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with vendor representatives and partner with vendor support team in the resolution of issues and the development of improvements
- 4+ of experience in the asset management industry
- Degree in Finance, Mathematics, Information Technology or related; with MBA / CFA / CQF (or in progress) preferred
- Advanced programming experience in a high-level programing language such as R, Python, Java, C++
- Advanced SQL and Excel
- Factset knowledge and experience
- Significant experience with R programming strongly preferred
- Statistical programming in Python strongly preferred
- Basic knowledge of AWS
- Ability to navigate legacy VBA code
- Exposure to industry specific platforms such as Bloomberg and ClariFi
- Experience successfully communicating between portfolio managers, operations, IT, and market solution providers
Other Critical Factors
- Intellectual curiosity – Desire to learn and understand the investment business and related processes. Seek understanding of upstream and downstream impacts.
- Customer focus – strong sense of urgency. Thrives on getting things done. Quality and accuracy are paramount. Able to balance multiple initiatives.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills – while remaining open minded and willingness to engage in balanced debate
- Collaborative and team minded
- Continuous improvement mindset regarding data quality, business process, and operational risk.
- Self-starter – thrives in an ambitious environment
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.