We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Thrivent is a Fortune 500 company with $162 billion of assets under management/advisement , offering a full range of expert financial solutions, including advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs. We serve over 2 million clients, as well as the communities in which they live and work.
Investments managed by Thrivent Funds & Thrivent Asset Management consists of fixed income and equity funds, sector, global and international funds, hybrid asset allocation funds, private equity, and real estate. Assets are managed on behalf of Thrivent Funds, Thrivent’s general account, separate accounts, and other institutional portfolios.
Systematic Alpha uses quantitative models to manage equity portfolios with a global scope. With more than $13 billion in assets under management, the team manages multiple active strategies in the U.S., developed and emerging markets using proprietary alpha and risk models to achieve superior investment performance.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
Work with senior investment staff and portfolio managers to design, build, and refine quantitative models used in managing client assets across multiple investment strategies.
- Develop expertise in traditional financial data sets; ensure quality and integrity of data used in model building.
- Perform data exploration and visualization to develop new features and uncover insights from both traditional and alternative data. Incorporate machine learning techniques to generate quant equity signals.
- Analyze risk and return of portfolios; identify opportunities to improve investment performance and risk management.
- Utilize macroeconomic models in the context equity portfolio management.
- Maintain documentation of new model and model changes for regulatory compliance.
- Understand, maintain, and build quantitative tools to support investment process.
Attributes of Success
- Passion for excellence; Ability to admit mistakes and learn from them, and a willingness to modify the related investment framework. Willingness to go the extra mile to be the best.
- Thinking creatively – possessing confidence to develop, propose and defend outside-the-box or contrarian viewpoints.
- Working collaboratively with Systematic Alpha Team.
- Intellectual curiosity – desire to learn new skills and explore unfamiliar ideas in the pursuit of knowledge.
- 3-5 years of experience in quantitative analysis of equity securities.
- Understanding of strengths and limitations of quantitative and machine learning models and portfolio management approaches.
- Experience with risk management and advanced risk management tools as they relate to managing equity portfolios.
- Undergraduate degree in mathematics, computer science, business, or another quantitative field. Graduate degree and/or CFA are desirable.
- 3-5 years of experience in programming with R or Python.
- Demonstrated ability to write well-documented code.
- Experience working with database management software such as Microsoft SQL.
- Experience with large dataset parallel programming and cloud computing is a plus.
- Working knowledge on common data science toolkits preferred: Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, NLTK.
Other Critical Factors
- This position is eligible for relocation.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work remote and/or on-site in Minneapolis.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.