Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis | Brandeis Spark Program and Intro to MassChallenge

Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis series image

Are you an aspiring entrepreneur with a passion for innovation and social impact? If so, Brandeis University is the ideal place to kick-start your entrepreneurial journey. With a range of initiatives designed to nurture and empower entrepreneurs, Brandeis provides an environment where your business ideas can flourish. In this series of blog posts, Evan Goddard, MSF’24 and I (Djounia Saint-Fleurant, MBA’24) will share our experiences with Brandeis initiatives that have played a pivotal role in our entrepreneurial pursuits. We’ll also highlight other programs with key takeaways from former business school participants. In this second installment of the “Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis” series, we explore the Brandeis Spark Program and introduce its connection to MassChallenge.

What is the Spark Program?

Spark offers training, support, mentorship, and the opportunity to pitch for funding to Brandeis students, faculty and staff. With up to $50,000 in annual Spark funding, the accelerator aims to assist the participants in defining their business models and enhancing their pitching skills. Successful applicants engage in the program during the spring semester, receiving guidance and training to pitch later at the SparkTank competition. During this competition, founders present their ideas to industry professionals and investors, competing for a chance to secure equity-free initial capital for their startups.

With the application window currently open until December 19, 2023, Djounia shares why applying to Spark is a valuable opportunity, drawing from her experience as a program alum:

“As a Spark participant, I explored and analyzed the viability of my business idea, Caribbean Connect. My startup aims to help Caribbean small businesses enter the US market by managing their marketing and supply chain. The program provided useful help and guidance from experts and guest speakers at Brandeis Innovation, refining my ideas and building a strong foundation for success. One helpful tool I learned about in Spark was the Business Model Canvas. It helped structure and understand my business concept better, even though it was tough to figure out.

My talks with Juan Giraldo, a seasoned entrepreneur and Director of the program, were invaluable. He shared many resources and introduced me to his contacts, helping me figure out what to do next and what I needed to get started.

The best part of the Spark program for me was the SparkTank Pitch Competition. It was scary to pitch in front of around 100 people and seven judges at first, but with practice, it turned into one of the best memories of my life. Spark is one of the top entrepreneurship programs at Brandeis. If you’re passionate about bringing your business idea to life, apply to SPARK.”

Another exciting part of Spark is its connection to the MassChallenge accelerator. Selected startups get fast-tracked to the MassChallenge summer program’s second round.

What is MassChallenge?

MassChallenge is a global network of accelerators and venture capital funds that have helped over 2,000 startups raise over $2 billion in funding. The MassChallenge Early Stage Foundations Cohort is a 30-day program providing promising startups with tools and resources to refine their business models and validate their solutions. The program helps startups develop a strong foundation for growth, with access to mentors, curriculum, and networking opportunities. Click here for more information on the MassChallenge Early Stage program. 

Evan participated in the Early Stage Foundations Cohort earlier this summer. He recounts his experience.

“Spark gave me the opportunity to mold my venture’s foundation around strong fundamentals and good startup hygiene. My close friend George Nekwaya, MBA’24, and I co-founded Buffr which is a fintech company focused on providing payment, lending, and money management solutions to Namibia. Spark’s close ties with and understanding of MassChallenge set George and I up for success when we pitched for a spot in the MassChallenge cohort this summer. We owe our acceptance into MassChallenge to the Spark community’s relentless support along the way.

Buffr’s time in the MassChallenge Early Stage Foundations cohort allowed George and I to intelligently stress-test our business model and fine-tune our storytelling abilities. The sessions led by Andrew Constable gave us new perspectives into sparking and projecting customer traction, preparing us well for future calls with potential investors. Additionally, through meeting with our mentor for the program, Alex Port, we gained valuable insight into designing a financial model that is well in line with the desires of investors. Modeling our financials offered an excellent opportunity to implement my financial modeling knowledge I had obtained through my classwork in a manner that helped propel my venture forward.”

Tune in for future installments of the “Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis” series, imagined and co-authored by CSE Career Captains Djounia Saint-Fleurant, MBA’24, and Evan Goddard, MSF’24.

By Evan Goddard
Evan Goddard Former CSE Career Captain