Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis series image
Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis | Turning ASPERations into Realities

Are you an aspiring entrepreneur with a passion for innovation and social impact? If so, Brandeis University is the ideal place to kick-start your entrepreneurial journey. With a range of initiatives designed to nurture and empower entrepreneurs, Brandeis provides an environment where your business ideas can flourish. In this series of blog posts, Evan Goddard, MSF’24 and I (Djounia Saint-Fleurant, MBA’24) will share our experiences with Brandeis initiatives that have played a pivotal role in our entrepreneurial pursuits. We’ll also highlight other programs with key takeaways from former business school participants. In this third installment of the “Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis” series, we explore the Asper Center for Global Entrepreneurship’s persistence in promoting entrepreneurship throughout the Brandeis International Business School.

What is the Asper Center for Global Entrepreneurship?

The Brandeis University Asper Center for Global Entrepreneurship serves as a hub for innovation and global business insight, providing students and professionals with invaluable resources to nurture their entrepreneurial aspirations. With a diverse range of workshops, networking events, and research initiatives, the Center not only bridges academic theory with practical application but also connects budding entrepreneurs to a world of opportunities. Whether you’re embarking on your entrepreneurial journey or aiming to broaden your global perspective, the Asper Center is your key to unlocking boundless potential.

The Asper Pitch Summit

For those eager to test their public speaking and ideation skills, the Asper Center is hosting a two-day workshop known as the Asper Pitch Summit on February 9-10, 2024. The event features notable speakers such as Antonie Knoppers ’93, MA’95, Robert Walsh, and Robert Malenfant, along with Professor Philippe Wells and Coach Alice Ain Rich. Students will have the chance to compete for an astonishing prize of $1000, and the raffle prize includes the latest AirPods Pro Max. 

“Participating in the 2023 Asper Center Pitch Summit at Brandeis International Business School was a transformative experience for me, surpassing all expectations. The event taught me the art of crafting a compelling narrative to captivate investors and stakeholders, making it one of the most enriching experiences of my graduate business school journey. I was randomly assigned to a team named “re:threads” alongside Riya Gupta, Emmanuel Jonathan Yalla, and Shreya Ahuja. Together, we tackled the challenge of creating a pitch for an innovative social venture addressing issues in the clothing and fashion industry. Despite the time constraints, our team secured the 2nd prize in the 2023 Asper Pitch Competition.

I must express my sincere gratitude to Kenny Raskin and Professor Robert Walsh for their guidance, which has forever enhanced my communication and storytelling skills. Their expertise is evident, and it’s no wonder Fortune 500 companies seek their collaboration. I’d also like to extend my thanks to Professor Philippe Wells and Coach Alice Ain Rich for organizing this exceptional Pitch Summit. It was a learning experience that went beyond the confines of a traditional classroom lecture, and I cherished every moment of it. This event not only boosted my confidence but also instilled in me a deeper appreciation for the power of effective communication and teamwork in the business world.”

Andrew Mukurazita, MBA/MSBA’25, who won second place in the Asper Summit

The Asper Awards

Additionally, in the spring, the Asper Center will host the Asper Award Ceremony. During this event, Brandeis International Business School will present the prestigious annual Asper Award to an individual who best exemplifies the values of entrepreneurial spirit and independent thinking. Robert Herjavec, the leading Shark and executive producer on ABC’s Emmy Award-winning hit TV show “Shark Tank,” was the recipient of last year’s award and delivered an inspiring speech at the Business School. The center will also offer cash prizes to the top student startup pitches as part of the Asper Student Startup Prizes.

Evan, along with Georges Nekwaya, co-founded Buffr and emerged as winners of the technology startup category at the Asper Awards. Their innovative ideas and persuasive pitching skills secured their well-deserved success for the Asper Student Startup Prize. 

“I found the Asper Pitch Summit to be an invaluable experience to improve my presentation skills and swift ideation abilities. The highlight of the summit for me was the teachings given by acting professor, Bob Walsh. Professor Walsh conveyed strategies to help us loosen up and get into a comfortable mindset for public speaking as well as better express ourselves intentionally. The mix of body language and voice projection techniques helped me feel much more confident going to presentations, allowing me to focus on expression instead of anxiety. “

Evan Goddard, MSF’24, who won first place in the Asper Awards.

Having participated in both events last year, I can attest to their enriching impact. The Pitch Summit, in particular, was a fun experience. Not only did I gain insight into delivering compelling pitches with confidence, but I also improved my teamwork skills in a collaborative environment that valued constructive contributions over dismissals. 

I hope to see you there!

Tune in for future installments of the “Entrepreneurial Gems at Brandeis” series, imagined and co-authored by CSE Career Captains Djounia Saint-Fleurant, MBA’24, and Evan Goddard, MSF’24.

By Djounia Saint-Fleurant
Djounia Saint-Fleurant CSE Career Captain, Creative Crew, Blog Squad