My winter break career strategies | Rita Lai ’24, MA’25

The CSE Winter Break Series, presented by the CSE Career Captain Team

In preparation for the upcoming winter break, Rita Lai ‘24, MA’25 shares how she will utilize her time during the Brandeis International Business School winter break to focus on enhancing her career strategies. 

With today’s competitive job market, it is so important to be proactive, prepared, and adaptable so I will be implementing these strategies over this winter break to set myself up for success. 

These tools will be beneficial to me as I am continuing my job search throughout the Spring.

– Rita

Updating my LinkedIn Profile, Resume and Cover Letter

First impressions are so important! That’s why it is essential to always update your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn Profile. The LinkedIn Guide by the LinkedIn Guys is a great resource to help organize and utilize your LinkedIn presence. 

Since I am in pursuit of a full time job, I will be utilizing LinkedIn to make sure that I have a clear and updated profile. An updated profile, resume, and cover letter present you as an engaged and proactive professional. It also increases your visibility to potential employers, recruiters, and networking contacts. 

It is essential to have a properly formatted resume and cover letter. Industries are continuously adapting and evolving so having an updated profile, you can ensure that your profile aligns with current industry trends and demands. This demonstrates your adaptability and relevance in a dynamic job market. 

Researching more about the Finance Job Market 

Since I am interested in pursuing a career path in Finance, I will be researching more about the Finance job market to gain a better understanding of it. 

If you have narrowed down your desired job markets, this is the time to dive into the nitty gritty of the industry to familiarize yourself with the field. Knowledge is key. Having a holistic understanding of the market really allows you to speak more confidently during interviews, narrow down your job searches to specific positions, and ultimately, set yourself up for success. 

Organizing my connection contact list 

With all of my past internships and experiences, I have built a strong list of connections and I want to utilize them to the best of my abilities. 

Building a robust network is a paramount in the pursuit of internships or jobs. Diversifying connections across various industries holds immense future potential. Maintaining an organized, current contact list of these connections is critical. 

Professional networks serve as unexpected gateways to opportunities, elevating visibility. Consistent communication with connections is pivotal – it amplifies your presence and sustains these valuable relationships. 

You could try using Google Sheets or Excel to keep track of your interactions with your connections. This keeps it organized and easy to update as you go along your career journey. 

Finally, whether you are in a 10-hour car ride, waiting in the airport for a layover, or lounging around on your couch over winter break, these strategies are easy to implement and can be done on the go! Have a great break! 

As part of the CSE Winter Break Series, the CSE Career Captain Team will share their own personal strategies for advancing their career over the Brandeis International Business School winter break!

By Rita Lai
Rita Lai CSE Career Captain