Winter break strategies for a career in finance | Diana Babich, MSF’25

The CSE Winter Break Series, presented by the CSE Career Captain Team

In preparation for the upcoming winter break, Diana Babich, MSF’25, shares how she will spend her time during the Brandeis International Business School winter break to focus on enhancing her career strategies.

My Winter Break Career Strategies 

It is the time of the year to try snowboarding for the first time or go ice skating with a friend. We need to do something fun after passing all our finals because we deserve it. But in order to take maximum advantage of my winter break, I will be doing some useful activities to be closer to my career dream.

– Diana

Make sure that my resume is up to date 

The resume is often the first impression you make on a potential employer. To maximize my chances of landing a desired job, it’s essential to keep the resume up to date and make sure it is polished. I already approved my resume with the CSE but if your resume is not yet ready, update your resume using the CSE Resume Guides and Templates for your program.

Tidy up and organize my email inbox

Why is it important to keep a clean and organized inbox? Some of the reasons can be that I can find important information faster, reduce used space, increase productivity, and be focused.

I have prepared some life hacks that will help you and me keep our email inbox clean and organized:

• Try to put messages in the archive because by deleting spam and unnecessary emails, you can accidentally delete an important one.
  • Add some labels to categorize your emails. Labels are like folders – they can help you and me to find information faster. Here you can read more about how to archive emails and add labels

Attend an event related to finance

By meeting different potential employers and making new acquaintances, my chance of finding a good prospect for an interview or employment position increases. Whether you are actively searching for jobs/internships, or you are exploring industries and possible career paths, attending a career event can help you achieve your goals. You can find career-related events on CSE Connect or Handshake.

Start a new financial habit

We all know that winter break is a time for fun and spending time with family and friends. However, starting a new financial habit is always a bonus for me and my future. If you want to do this activity as well, do it, and it’s ok to start right now or later, wherever you are on your personal roadmap. Let’s get started!

• Set my financial goals: It’s much easier to achieve goals when they are clearly defined. When I set my financial goals, I will make sure they are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound. I will reread my list regularly, so I know exactly whether I am heading in the right direction.
  • Try not to buy things for a future version of myself: some of us had situations where we bought clothes in a lower size and then did not wear them. We are already beautiful and amazing the way we are.

Have a wonderful winter break! See you soon!

By Dziyana Babich
Dziyana Babich CSE Career Captain