‘Twas the Night Before the Interview: Essential Preparation Strategies

Inspired by our Annual Professional Presentation Week (February 12 – February 16, 2024), the CSE Team has created a blog series to highlight important topics related to the various aspects of professional presentation. These will be published throughout the month of February (because one week just isn’t enough!), so stay tuned for more awesome Professional Presentation Content.

In this original blog post, Kristen Babineau, Associate Director, Career Strategies, and MSBA Career Coach, outlines her recipe for the ideal night before an interview. Check it out!

About Professional Presentation Week: Featuring several events and challenges related to various aspects of professional presentation, including: Professional Attire, Body Language, Interview Preparation, Online Presence, Networking Tips, The Video Interview, Small Talk Challenge, Personal Branding, and more!

Elevate Your Interview Game: Essential Night Before Strategies

Embarking on a job interview is not just about the actual meeting; the night before plays a crucial role in setting the tone for success. Follow these tips to help you approach your job interview with confidence!

Make sure your technology is working correctly

Let’s face it, the days of in-person interviews are nearly over. Most likely all of your interviews will be over Zoom or Microsoft teams. Make sure you have the necessary software downloaded for your interview to start on time and run smoothly. Set up a practice session with a friend to ensure your camera and microphone are working. You might consider adding a unique but professional background, something that is a great conversation starter and says something about you.

Additionally, please ensure that your camera is at the correct angle. A common mistake I see is students hunched over like they are solving the DaVinci code and leaning into the laptop. Take the time to elevate your laptop so you are looking at eye level into the camera.

Practice answering behavioral questions

I have seen incredibly smart and prepared students bomb interviews. How could this be? They have spent the time preparing how to answer questions, written them down, and re-read them but they have NEVER spoken the words out loud. Remember how you write and how you communicate verbally are very different.

I highly recommend utilizing the STAR method to prepare answers to common behavioral questions.

Situation: describe the challenge

Task: what was your goal?

Action: what steps did you take?

Result: what was the outcome?

Remember your answers should be no more than 2-3 minutes per question.

Hot tip: Did you know you can set up a mock interview with your Career Coach! We are here to support you in this process and give you feedback. If you can’t find a time on Handshake please please please email us directly and we will make sure to connect with you before the interview.

Prepare thoughtful questions to ask the interviewer 

At the end of the interview you will most likely be asked “ Do you have any questions for me?” The worst response you can give is “Nope I am all set”. This proves you haven’t done enough research and are showing zero curiosity about the conversation you just had. Here are a few of my favorite questions that can be applied to most interviews:

• How would you describe the culture here?
  • How will you measure the success of the person in this position?
  • Are there opportunities for advancement and training within the role or company?
  • What are the first two things this person should be working on when they start?

Check out this CSE blog post with more information about preparing smart questions.

Make sure you understand what the company does

This seems like a no brainer but it is literally the biggest complaint I hear from employers interviewing students. Check out the companies website and review their LinkedIn company page for what they are posting about. Understand the context of how the job you are applying for helps the company achieve their overall goals. You should also be able to talk about larger trends in their industry and their significance. 

Know your salary expectations

It is becoming much more common for salary to be discussed during a first interview, whether it’s with a recruiter or the person that will directly manage you. Your response needs to demonstrate that you understand the typical salaries for this field. To start your research check out glassdoor.com, payscale.com or salary.com. Talk to alums in similar positions at other companies. Make sure you understand your own personal finances in relation to the city you will be working in.

I think it is always best to give a range for salary, with the bottom end being something you would happily accept. Example answer “ Well according to my research and past experience my understanding is that 75-90K is typical based on the role and requirements. I would expect to be at the higher range, what do you suggest?”

Pick your interview outfit

Most people have a favorite item to wear on interviews-something you feel comfortable in and also looks professional. I will never forget reaching for my favorite interview shirt an hour before an interview just to see a stain on the front. How did I put this away without noticing it? Did the dry cleaner forget to tell me?!

Now I am left in a cold sweat trying to find another shirt I feel good in but also isn’t too tight, and matches my pants and works well on camera etc etc. All this to say, pick out your outfit the night before so you’re not stressing about silly things before your interview.

Get a good night’s sleep 

This seems basic and simple but if you only remember this one tip you will thank me!

Sleeping 7-8 hours refreshes our memory and regenerates our bodies systems. Shut off all electronics at least one hour before bed, read a book, call a friend or something else that helps you relax. Don’t forget to set your alarm (or multiple ones!) if you have an early morning interview.

Still not convinced? Check out this TED talk by Matt Walker entitled the “Power of Sleep”.

By Kristen Babineau
Kristen Babineau Associate Director, Career Strategies, MSBA Career Coach